It’s been on my sewing list for sometime now. But I am happy that after making the tulle bustle ( The burlesque piece) a few months back that I was ready to take on the Tutu formal skirt…more so take on the tulle fabric.
This skirt was a custom project I was commissioned to complete for the holidays. So like most of my projects I make a mock up to ensure that technique is down pat and that any glitches to be discover working with this new fabric is perfected. It also gave me a chance to estimate the time spent on this project.
The goal was to have a satin lined skirt not too much tulle but enough to be formal, dressy and flirty. Not so much the Disney princess look….lol…. but the fabulous look of a classy female in this millennial. Did I achieved it.. well lets just see all that went into achieving this look.
Love love the look!! I went for the elastic waist band but mine was cut more on a A-line silhouette instead of a circle skirt.( I didn’t have a lot of fabric to play with). I wanted mine a bit longer. That Midi skirt look but with only two layers of tulle. I did hem the lining. Regretted it after as I thought it was a bit heavy on the look of the skirt, especially after ironing. But it worked in the end.
I already knew the top I had in my closet that would go with this for the perfect theater look. We were off to see the Phantom of the Opera. A play I so desired to see for years and finally it was in our city for the holidays . The least I could have done was dress to impress.
The final version
The final version definitely had some major tweaks to not only fit the customer requirements but assisted me in applying those lessons learned from version 1. This version was shorter, carried four layers of tulle and was cut as a full circle with no seam. This made attaching a elastic broad waist band ideal for the flowy and playful way the skirt drapes.I choose not to machine hem the lining on the final skirt instead I serge it given it a more finished look and lighter on the satin fabric to the eye.
The final product.
I forgot to mention that time was under estimated. It took longer to cut and put everything together. But lets face it, it was worth the time and effort I put into it. Perhaps I can devise some strategy to lessen the reproduction time of this again in the future knowing now the techniques I have learnt while completing this order.
Thanks for tuning in!
I trust 2016 is off to a great start, the sewing chronicles and journey continues for me. Growing my business, perfecting my sewing skills, learning new skills and projects, taking on new challenges and taking risks all in the same!
Until next time… just keep sewing , just keep sewing.. what do I do I sew sew sew…